4.1. General instructions¶
Suricata can be upgraded by simply installing the new version to the same
locations as the already installed version. When installing from source,
this means passing the same
--datadir options to
$ suricata --build-info|grep -A 3 '\-\-prefix' --prefix /usr --sysconfdir /etc --localstatedir /var --datarootdir /usr/share
4.1.1. Configuration Updates¶
New versions of Suricata will occasionally include updated config files:
reference.config. Since the Suricata
installation will not overwrite these if they exist, they must be manually
updated. If there are no local modifications they can simply be overwritten
by the ones Suricata supplies.
Major updates include new features, new default settings and often also remove features.
4.2. Upgrading 5.0 to 6.0¶
- SIP now enabled by default
- RDP now enabled by default
- ERSPAN Type I enabled by default.
4.2.1. Major changes¶
- New protocols enabled by default: mqtt, rfb
- SSH Client fingerprinting for SSH clients
- Conditional logging
- Initial HTTP/2 support
- DCERPC logging
- Improved EVE logging performance
- File-store v1 has been removed. If using file extraction, the file-store configuration will need to be updated to version 2. See Update File-store v1 Configuration to V2.
- Individual Eve (JSON) loggers have been removed. For example,
dns-json, etc. Use multiple Eve logger instances if this behavior is still required. See Multiple Logger Instances.
- Unified2 has been removed. See Unified2 Output Removed.
4.2.3. Logging changes¶
- IKEv2 Eve logging changed, the event_type has become
ike. The fields
notifyhave moved to
4.3. Upgrading 4.1 to 5.0¶
4.3.1. Major changes¶
- New protocols enabled by default: snmp (new config only)
- New protocols disabled by default: rdp, sip
- New defaults for protocols: nfs, smb, tftp, krb5 ntp are all enabled by default (new config only)
- VXLAN decoder enabled by default. To disable, set
- HTTP LZMA support enabled by default. To disable, set
falsein each of the
libhtpconfigurations in use.
- classification.config updated. ET 5.0 ruleset will use this.
- decoder event counters use ‘decoder.event’ as prefix now. This can
be controlled using the
dns-log, the text dns log. Use EVE.dns instead.
file-log, the non-EVE JSON file log. Use EVE.files instead.
drop-log, the non-EVE JSON drop log.